Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Research Ramblings

As I begin debating various action research topics, I attempt to align a potential thesis theme as well. Each time I narrow my focus, relating to my passion to study gender stereotypes in early childhood education, more questions arise. Can I complete a project in just four to six weeks? What questions will be left unanswered? What if my career does not allow me to provide the time and energy to the research, which is needed for thorough investigation?

I chose to review a related action research article for my summary assignment. The article focused on children’s “bad guy” play in preschool classrooms. While the authors’ purpose was to determine the direction of play themes, once teachers ceased to discourage aggressive behavior, there were several gendered themes that appeared throughout the article. In the teachers’ descriptions of children’s language and play activities in the dramatic play center, subtle stereotypes and bias was portrayed.

I also reviewed two other articles, which researched gendered themes in Disney princess movies and top-grossing G-rated films. Similar results were found, and both articles shared several references that I intend to review. The main results from each article were such that gendered representation has decreased, over time. Princesses, or lead female roles, have obtained more masculine characteristics and have been portrayed less dependent on film. However, male characters still outnumber female roles.

For my action research project, I hope to combine the ideas of the three research articles I reviewed. I would like to read and understand the research, which relates to quantitative data, found in children’s movies. I also want to conduct observations of young children in dramatic play centers to determine if viewing gendered films influence pretend play. From my very novice ideas, I plan to send a movie home with up to eight children each weekend. I would ask that families watch the movie over the weekend with their child. On Monday, I would observe the children in “free play” activities to determine if any of the themes from the films were displayed in action.

For the purpose of this particular project, I would need to gain parental consent and participation in the research. I would want to know when the movies were shown to the children and how long the child viewed the film (any distractions, multitasking, disinterest, etc.). I would ask that families share any questions, communications, or comments that occurred during the viewing of the film. For research to be valid, I would not want children to understand the purpose of the research.

Teachers would need to buy-in to the research and be conscious of their own bias and how that is portrayed in their instruction or classroom. I would be concerned, during the hours I am not in the classroom, how children play and how the teacher responds to their activities. Research may be affected by any changes to the daily routine, outside visitors to the classroom, or absence from school as well (either by child or teacher). How do I plan for or analyze incomplete data? How do I plan to observe on a consistent basis, when my schedule fluctuates and becomes interrupted so frequently?

It seems as though my “research ramblings,” pose many questions and leave me completely clueless. However, I feel confident, as I research more related articles and dwell into the ever-so-intimidating “Quantitative,” data from previous articles, it will all come together. I will retrieve the answers I seek, and in doing so, become more inquisitive regarding future research. I hope that my action research provides a “head start,” to my comprehensive data analysis and written work for my thesis.

The three articles I mention in this posting are referenced below:

England, D. E., Collier-Meek, M. A., & Descartes, L. (2011). Gender role
portrayal and the Disney princesses. Sex Roles, 64, 555-567.

Logue, M. E., & Detour, A. (2011). "You be the bad guy": A new role for teachers
in supporting children's dramatic play. Early Childhood Research & Practice, 13(1), 1-16.

Smith, S. L., Pieper, K. M., Granados, A., & Choueiti, M. (2010). Assessing

gender-related portrayals in top-grossing G-rated films. Sex Roles, 62, 774-786.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Emily, I think you have really ambitious AR ideas and an interesting concept. Do you think that you will get consistent information back from your parents? Will you send the movies home with the same students every weekend? I ask these questions because at the high school level sending and retrieving information home is never consistent.

    ReplyDelete