Since my last post, I have “leaped”
into further research, relating to my initial topic of gender stereotypes in
media intended for younger audiences (birth to eight years of age).
Particularly, animated movies and cartoons display many gendered themes and “teach”
young children to expect certain bias as “normal.” The facts remain constant:
media displays gender stereotypical characteristics of each sex on-screen.
As more articles were read,
more questions arose. I felt overwhelmed and anxious about my project. I tried
to “narrow” my focus, but each time I felt the purpose of my project becoming
clearer, the time line and human research aspects of the research made my
proposal seem blurred. I reached out to our professor for some clarity!
“Talking out” the plan for
my action research project helped me clear my mind! I realized that my desire
to rid gender stereotypes in the classroom was NOT supported by focusing on
where the biases develop. Yes, we know that, even beginning in the womb,
children are treated differently based on their sex. Little boys are expected
to wear blue onesies and “play ball.” Little girls become the “princess,” in
the family.
Instead of continuing
research on media influences on children’s gender development, I began thinking
of other options for my action research project. I began questioning my purpose
and what answers I want to retrieve. I want teachers to be conscious of the
language they use in the classroom. I want educators to read books that display
reverse gendered roles. I need children to be exposed to gender-neutral
materials! And I want to support teachers in any way I can.
To begin, I feel that I need
to fully understand how gender is developed in young children. When do they
realize gender is constant? Why do children begin differentiating toys and
modeling same-sex behaviors? How do social and biological factors influence
gender development? What are the different theories, relating to these topics?
I need to research and explore previous studies that will allow me to construct
my own hypotheses and research design!
For now, I do not have a
specific action research outline. After reading more articles and research
studies, I hope to gain direction and finalize my plan as soon as possible! As
I will likely use my action research for my thesis project, I will need to gain
IRB approval and informed consent forms before beginning research in the
classroom. Which means I must spend time reflecting on my purpose and research
questions, and I need to settle on a specific plan soon!
Emily I think your topics are interesting. You might look at Leonard Sax and Michael Gurian and their research on the brain development of boys and girls and the implications for education
ReplyDelete