I changed the plan for my action research project (yet again!). The more I reflected on my research, I felt that I was still concentrating on the wrong population for my study. How can gender stereotypes be removed from the preschool classroom? Focusing on children in this process may not provide sound enough results. I switched my gears and decided to, instead, focus on the teachers of the classroom.
The outline of my research plan is as follows:
The outline of my research plan is as follows:
Before Research Begins:
ð
Discuss research plan with owner for the school
ð
Meet with teacher(s) of chosen classroom to
conduct pre-research questionnaire
ð
Assess classroom environment
ð
Reconstruct classroom environment, with the help
of the teacher(s)
ð
Assess classroom schedule
ð
Reconstruct classroom schedule, with the help of
the teacher(s)
ð
Assess classroom materials (books, art
materials, dress-up clothing, etc.)
ð
Reconstruct classroom materials, with the help
of the teacher(s)
ð
Assess classroom display (artwork, pictures,
etc.)
ð
Reconstruct classroom display, with the help of
the teacher(s)
ð
Assess curriculum activities
ð
8 activities planned per day (include one
“Tolerance” activity, written by researcher to implement during observation)
ð
Notify families of intent to conduct research in
child’s classroom environment
ð
Host “Information” Meeting for families, who
wish to learn more or have questions about the study
ð
Meet with teachers to discuss schedule for
observations and any family questions or concerns
During the Research Period:
ð
Conduct classroom observations during “circle
time,” “free-play,” and “outdoor play,” each week (3 times per week / 45 minutes)
ð
Film / Record “free play” activities to transcribe
and assess language used during interest center activities
ð
Meet with teacher(s) once a week to discuss
observations, journal notes, and recordings
To Do:
ð
Questionnaire for teachers (before study begins)
ð
Map of classroom environment
ð
Sample schedule for classroom routine
ð
List of books to purchase / check-out for
duration of study
ð
List of materials needed for purchase /
donations for duration of study
ð
Search for gender neutral pictures, print,
laminate, and post in classroom
ð
Write “Tolerance” activities for classroom
curriculum (1 per day for 5 weeks)
ð
Draft letter of intent for families
ð
Plan “information” meeting for families
ð
Gather resource materials for hand-outs
ð
Plan schedule for observations
ð
Purchase voice recorder
ð
Purchase journals for teacher(s)
I am hoping that everything will be finalized and I can turn in the IRB Application and Informed Consent forms by the end of next week!
Until then, I will be BUSY trying to find relevant literature to my "new" topic and "catching up" with all of you!
Wish my LUCK!
I am hoping that everything will be finalized and I can turn in the IRB Application and Informed Consent forms by the end of next week!
Until then, I will be BUSY trying to find relevant literature to my "new" topic and "catching up" with all of you!
Wish my LUCK!
Wow, Emily! This is still a very BIG project. I know it is hard not to jump ahead to the bigger thesis/culminating project, but I encourage you to think about focusing more for this Action Research project. I think if you did everything in the "Before Research" section above, that could BE your research for the ARP. You could focus on working with teachers to de-gender or re-gender their classrooms, asking them to reflect with you along the way. The larger study of the way students are acting in the classroom would be more aligned with a project for thesis or culminating project.
ReplyDeleteEmily,
ReplyDeleteYou certainly have thought through every aspect of this project! I thought I was an organized individual but reading this makes me jealous! I do think that it might be a lot for you to undertake in the amount of time that we have for this course, and you may want to minimize your focus. The area that you focus on for this could be used as a foundation for a larger project/study later. Still, you are well-prepared for whatever route you take.