I have FINALLY settled on a topic and plan to begin my Action Research project this Wednesday. Unfortunately, with the time restraints, I will not be able to submit for IRB approval for use in my Culminating Project...but I need to 'get the ball rolling" and focus on my Literature Review for EDL 596. This "balancing act" is going to kill me...
Here is my Action Research Timeline:
ACTION RESEARCH PROJECT:
TIMELINE
WEEK
|
MONDAY
|
TUESDAY
|
WEDNESDAY
|
THURSDAY
|
FRIDAY
|
March 2-6
|
N/A
|
N/A
|
Meet with teachers to discuss project / Provide
detailed information & plan for room arrangement, materials assessment,
classroom schedule, Request that teachers complete pre-study questionnaire
(due Friday)
|
Check with teachers to see if they have any
questions or concerns regarding the project
|
Collect questionnaires and meet with Owner for
school to discuss study
|
March 9-13
|
Assess classroom arrangement & change, if
needed
|
Assess classroom schedule & display & change, if needed
|
Add gender-neutral pictures, posters, and sentence strips to the classroom
|
Meet with teachers to discuss classroom presentation; plan for center assessments
|
Assess Library center: Remove gender stereotypical books & replace with gender-neutral materials
|
March 16-20
|
N/A (will be absent)
|
Assess Music & Technology centers: Remove gender
stereotypical materials & replace with gender-neutral items
|
Assess Dramatic Play center: Remove gender
stereotypical materials, change “theme” (agreed upon w/ teachers)
|
Assess Block & Manipulatives centers: Remove
gender stereotypical materials, replace with gender-neutral items
|
Assess Art & Science centers: Remove gender
stereotypical materials, replace with gender-neutral items
|
March 23-27
|
Assess curriculum activities for current week
|
Observation of “Tolerance” activity in classroom
|
Observation of children’s outdoor play activities
(focus on teacher language)
|
Observation of “Tolerance” activity
|
Meet with teachers to discuss weekly observations
|
March 30-April3
|
Assess curriculum activities for current week
|
Observation of “Tolerance” activity in classroom
|
Observation of children’s “free play” activities
(focus on teacher language)
|
Observation of “Tolerance” activity in classroom
|
Meet with teachers to discuss weekly observations
|
April 6-10
|
Provide teachers with post-study questionnaire (due
Wednesday)
|
Conduct informal observation in classroom
|
Collect post-study questionnaire
|
Conduct informal observation on playground
|
Meet with teachers to discuss research study /
Future practices
|
The timeline provides a little over five weeks' worth of research with the teachers in the classroom. I am hoping to answer the following questions in my research study:
1. To what extent will adding gender-neutral materials to the classroom influence teachers' encouragement of non-stereotyped play?
2. What impact will the implementation of activities and classroom environment have on lessening the use of gendered expressions?
3. How will teachers react, or respond to, children's questions or stereotyped play?
I hope that this schedule can be followed appropriately during my normal business hours, as I will also need to complete necessary tasks during my 50 (average) hour work-week. My other hope is that my questions will be thoroughly answered. Without the flexibility to use recording devices, I will need to be actively observant and physically record language in the classroom.
My only concern is how the teachers will respond to my research study in the classroom. I have chosen the Pre-Kindergarten classroom for two reasons. (1) The children in the classroom have advanced gender knowledge and language abilities (2) One of the teachers of the classroom is male. I am hoping to gain insight into both genders' perspectives and observe a noticeable change within the 5-week timeframe.
I wish you all luck as you begin this treacherous journey!
Emily, How will you access "gender neutrality?" What will be your criteria? I am curious about what you find out in this AR. I think it is interesting that our projects "book-end" each other. What happens over the course of the ten years from Pre-K to 10th grade?
ReplyDeleteBillie,
ReplyDeleteI will be looking at the different materials in each center and removing items that display gender stereotypes. For example, many children's books portray male characters "fighting dragons," or "saving a princess." I will take those books out of the library center and replace with more gender-neutral books, such as "The Paper Bag Princess," by Robert Munsch or "King and King," by Linda de Haan. I will also be adding posters / pictures of same-sex couples and images displaying non-stereotyped occupations (female police officers, male teachers, etc.).
I agree. I feel our projects compliment each other well. As far as Pre-K to high school, the parental upbringing, teacher perspectives, peer influence, and other factors may suggest children's homophobic outlook...or, in your research, school performance.
Thanks for your comment!
Emily