During the first week of my
action research study, I met with the teachers and owner for the school to
discuss my plan in the classroom. The only concern the teachers brought to my
attention was how participation in the project would affect their employment. I
assured them that their agreement and collaboration was appreciated and that,
as their supervisor, no negative action would result in relation to the action
research study. I also explained to the owner for the school how I would differentiate
between work and school, as I conducted my research on-site.
I distributed a pre-research
questionnaire to the two teachers collaborating with me on the project. The
results are listed below:
Teacher Questionnaire: Pre-Study
Open-Ended Questions:
|
Question:
|
Teacher 1 Response:
|
Teacher 2 Response:
|
|
What does the term “diversity” mean to you?
|
Being equal and accepting to all people of
different gender, races, cultures, age, disability and religion / nationality
|
Very Simple: I would like a range of different
artifacts, stuff, effects, things, objects, soul, feat undertaking
|
|
How do you plan for and implement diversity into
your classroom environment (display, materials, etc.)?
|
The children do most of the display work, but as
far as classroom items, we try to have international, recycled cartons for
dramatic play. Toys in blocks also show some diversity for gender, age, race
and disabilities where possible
|
Parent involvement (CDs from home, cultural items
(doll, tea cup)), lesson plan stories about being different
|
|
How do you plan for and implement diversity into
your interaction with children?
|
I try to be fair, accepting and equal with
interactions with children. Although, I do occasionally call boys “dudes” and
girls “sweeties”
|
Visual aids, Identify their & own thoughts,
allow children to express questions, allow classroom interactions with other
cultures
|
|
How do you plan for and implement diversity into
your curriculum activities?
|
I won’t, or try not to, plan gender-biased
activities in the lesson plan. I go mostly by the goals we need to accomplish
to plan lessons. Also, I try to fit international locations and cultures into
lesson plans, when available
|
Book: Gertrude McFuzz from Dr. Seuss
Writing Project: I like my _____ best or I like
being different _______ and I like my friend ______ because ________
|
Survey Questions:
Please indicate your opinion
about each statement. Do you strongly agree, strongly disagree, or is your
opinion in between these extremes? Mark one choice per item.
|
Statement:
|
Strongly Agree
|
Agree
|
Undecided
|
Disagree
|
Strongly Disagree
|
|
Both boys and girls really need to develop social
skills
|
Teacher 2
|
|
Teacher 1
|
|
|
|
Only boys should be permitted to play competitive
sports
|
|
|
|
|
Teacher 1
Teacher 2
|
|
Quiet girls will have a happier life than assertive
girls
|
|
|
|
Teacher 1
|
Teacher 2
|
|
It is only healthy for boys to cry when they have
been hurt
|
|
|
|
Teacher 1
|
Teacher 2
|
|
Boys who exhibit sissy behaviors will never be well
adjusted
|
|
|
|
Teacher 1
|
Teacher 2
|
|
Girls who are tomboys will never be well adjusted
|
|
|
|
Teacher 1
|
Teacher 2
|
|
Parents should set different behavior standards for
boys and girls
|
|
|
|
Teacher 1
|
Teacher 2
|
|
I feel upset when I see boys put on a dress when
they play dress-up
|
|
|
|
|
Teacher 1
Teacher 2
|
|
Boys, more than girls, need competitive skills
|
|
|
Teacher 1
|
|
Teacher 2
|
|
A parent who would pay for ballet lessons for a son
is asking for trouble
|
|
|
|
|
Teacher 1
Teacher 2
|
|
Girls should be encouraged to play with building
blocks and toy trucks
|
Teacher 1
|
|
Teacher 2
|
|
|
|
Math and science are as necessary for girls as boys
|
Teacher 1
|
|
Teacher 2
|
|
|
Multiple Choice
When referring to the
children, I usually call them:
a. Boys / Girls: Teacher 1 – Gendered nicknames like
“dude” or “sweetie”
b. You guys
c. Friends
d. Other: Teacher 2: I call them all and so much more!
Based on the results of the
pre-study questionnaire, it seems that both teachers need further training on
gender as a component of “diversity.” Teacher 1 surprised me with the
‘undecided’ answers, after answering so elaborately in the open-ended section
of the survey; I was also taken aback by Teacher 2’s ‘undecided’ answers in the
last two survey statements. Teacher 2’s open-ended questions were also slightly
confusing; perhaps the teacher did not fully comprehend the questions.
I look forward to continuing
this week and making progress in the classroom! My hope is that by the end of
the project, the teachers will have a deeper understanding of any unconscious
bias and make efforts to take initiative to include gender equity as part of
their classroom routines.
Emily, it looks like you have finally decided on a clear path. I was also surprised by the undecided comment about trucks and science. Curious, what are the ages of your teachers? What about their background? I am trying to take a proactive approach with my boys and really working on the relationship piece. I plan on asking them if they would like to take a career interest inventory.
ReplyDeleteEmily, it looks like you have finally decided on a clear path. I was also surprised by the undecided comment about trucks and science. Curious, what are the ages of your teachers? What about their background? I am trying to take a proactive approach with my boys and really working on the relationship piece. I plan on asking them if they would like to take a career interest inventory.
ReplyDeleteHello Emily, I agree with your assessment on the pre-study questionnaires that each of the teachers might need some additional training on gender in regards to diversity. This is great that you are doing this project because there could be additional teachers that might the training as well. I would as suggest that not only the teachers understands gender equity but parents are aware of how teachers are dealing with this topic in the classroom.
ReplyDelete